[syslinux] LSS16 mime

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Apr 3 14:04:07 PDT 2009

Omair Eshkenazi wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I created a file to add mime-type detection for lss16 images...
>
> All you need to do is put it (unzipped) in /usr/share/mime/packages (or
> your equivalent) and run:
> update-mime-database -V /usr/share/mime
> Then you can just associate lss images with Mtpaint, to make life easier...
>
> Note:
> - I didn't know about the name (lss vs. lss16), so I just went by what
> the "file" magic database uses...
> - I didn't add a glob, since I wasn't sure if there is a "official"
> extension (though I see one of the examples uses .lss). That can be
> easily done by adding the line:
> <glob pattern="*.lss"/>

Yes, the official name is LSS16; the filename glob pattern is "*.lss".
I once was planning on having an additional format called LSS128 (used
by a rewritten bootloader I was working on called Genesis) but by the
time I finally got around to implementing full color support in Syslinux
I decided to just use PNG (and later added JPG too.)