[syslinux] LVM support

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Apr 14 11:32:42 PDT 2009

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> You've expressed doubts several times already about the future of the
> Syslinux project.  What is it you doubt: only EXTLINUX or something
> more?  Do you consider EXTLINUX as a proof of concept only, created
> for the completeness' sake, and nothing more?  On the other hand, you
> seem to have plans for Syslinux 4, reorganizing the internals, doing
> more in C instead of ASM, scripting support, whatnot...
>
> Besides all that, I think choice is good.  LILO and Grub are past,
> Grub2 comes along, and it is very useful to have another boot loader,
> even if they're almost exactly on par feature wise.  Yes, even if
> neither has a killer feature over the other.

The issue is just that there is a *huge* amount of work involved in
getting Syslinux to the point where it needs to be to be a viable
project going forward (portability to non-BIOS firmware and new
filesystems.)  "Choice is good" is valid for the user, but I, and my
employer, have to decide whether or not it's worth the investment to
make it happen.

Hence trying to figure out what the value proposition is, and it has to
come from users.