[syslinux] Gfxboot COMBOOT module vs Ubuntu patches

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jul 14 20:40:59 PDT 2009

Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

> This is probably not that dramatic. For one reason or another I'm
> considering a full C-rewrite right now. That hopefully makes integration easier.

It absolutely would, and is anyway a requirement to support EFI.  I'm
obviously very happy to hear this :)  I presume you're using the
existing com32 library?  The API in Syslinux 4 should look very similar
at the high level, but I suspect we need to add  new API functions to
the framebuffer driver to support you -- one thing I *know* is going to
happen already is support for resolutions other than 640x480.  However,
the overall structure of a 32-bit in-memory framebuffer and a single
"copy to screen" function which will also do pixel conversions I intend
to keep.  And of course, you have the JPEG and PNG libraries available
already.