[syslinux] [RFC] COMBOOT: readdir: st_mode or d_type

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Mar 3 23:12:04 PST 2009

Hi,

Gene Cumm wrote:
>  my goal would be to duplicate the
> functionality that searchdir provides in readdir as far as the name
> and such.

A file in an ISO 9660 filesystem can have up
to 4 different names:
- dull ISO name: much like in FAT
- Rock Ridge name: much like in ext2
  compliant to X/Open System Interface.
- Joliet name: like NTFS ?
- ISO-9660:1999 name: a second dull ISO name ?
  (This seems to be rarely produced.)

Which one to pick ?
It seems to me that it is about the users'
expectation. This expectation is probably
formed by the daily experience on operating
systems.
That would be:
- dull ISO for DOS
- Joliet for Windows
- Rock Ridge for X/Open systems

> > Expect at least two groups of read positions which
> > are used frequently and are several hundred KB apart.
>
> Ouch.  That'll do a nice job on performance

Especially since optical media are really poor
with random access reading. If the directory tree
has substantial size then it is essential to have
a buffered reader which can hold several large
data chunks at a time.
(We cannot use the Linux CDROM block device driver
 in libisoburn because we also write to the media
 which would confuse that read-only software.
 So we use an own buffered reader that runs on
 generic SCSI/MMC read commands.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas