[syslinux] HDT 0.3.2 is out

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat May 2 14:45:49 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2 May 2009, Erwan Velu wrote:

> HDT 0.3.2 is out and mainly add a better disk management
>
> My previous work on disks was a little bit limited and incomplete.
> Since pierre did a massive rework that allow hdt to feature disks &
> partitions detection.
>
> On the menu side, the "Disk" menu is now extended to show disks' partitions.
> On the cli side, we now have more commands :
>
> hdt>  show disk
> This command will show a basic output of available disks.
>
> hdt>  disk
> This command enable the disk mode
>
> disk>  show disks
> This command list all available disks
>
> disk>  show disk 0x80
> Display the maximum information of disk 0x80
> This output includes disk' partitions.
>
> 0.3.2 is also featuring the modules.alias compatibility. This item was
> requested by users, this is now implemented.
> By default, hdt tries to open both modules.pcimap & modules.alias to
> find the associated kernel modules.
> To override the default values, users can use the
> modules_pcimap=<filename> and modules_alias=<filename> boot options.
>
> Some minor visual improvements/bug fixes were also done regarding the
> VPD, PCI & memory display.
>
> Note that hdt's menu is now using the full screen instead of having a black
> line at the bottom of the screen.

Perfect, it works really great. I tried it inside Qemu and on my thinkpad
X200s. I found one bug. I booted from an SDHC card and I saw both disks
with the correct information, but the partitioning of my second
(internal) disk was actually the same as my SDHC card.

So somewhere the partitioning information is mixed up. This is easy to
test in qemu using:

     qemu -hdc /dev/sdb -hdd /dev/sda -m 1024 -smp 2

Another remark I have is that the gray that shows most of the information
is hard to read on the blue background. I would prefer normal white or
maybe light cyan or light blue.

Copying the modules.pcimap over worked great this time.

Another job well done. I hope it ships with the next syslinux so it gets
to the biggest audience through distributions !