[syslinux] Booting firmware harddisk image with memdisk fails

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun May 24 05:56:08 PDT 2009

On Sat, 23 May 2009, Michael Grundmann wrote:

> Dag Wieers schrieb:
>>  On Sat, 23 May 2009, Michael Grundmann wrote:
>>
>> >  i did it sucessfully on my t400 with syslinux 3.80 (built form source on
>> >  gentoo machine)
>>
>>  I don't think the version makes a difference. But is it possible that the
>>  (older) versions of the build tools exposes a bug on certain hardware ?
>>
>>  If so, it could be useful to send me your compiled memdisk so I can simply
>>  try to see if it makes a difference on my system.
>
> its compiled for x86_64 if that doesnt matter?

Michael send me his memdisk, and I had exactly the same problem. Memdisk
boots and I get:

----
Lenovo Group Limited

Starting PC DOS...

----

and then nothing. While in Qemu it goes into the firmware
flash application.

Michael has a Thinkpad T400 which worked. The author of the ThinkWiki page
has a Thinkpad X200 and it worked too. I have a Thinkpad X200s with the
same BIOS release and it fails.

It fails on my hardware with Michael's memdisk (and with the ones I
tested) so we can rule out the memdisk build and we can rule out the BIOS
version.

I can only conclude that it has to do with a BIOS option or hardware
configuration that triggers a bug in memdisk. I went over a lot of BIOS
options, and changed some options that should not have any impact, to no
avail.

Peter, do you have anything worthwhile to add that I can test ?

The harddisk image I am testing comes from the type 4 eltorito ISO at:

 	http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70348.html

and can be extracted either with the isobar utility or with a patched
geteltorito script. (both come packaged with RPMforge)