[syslinux] Booting firmware harddisk image with memdisk fails

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun May 24 12:32:28 PDT 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009, Miller, Shao wrote:

> Sorry Dag, I actually have no idea if this problem unit actually has an
> HDD, as I couldn't be bothered to look it up, so I was assuming that it
> did, and trying to get your QEmu test to mimic the hardware more
> closely.  Techincally, QEmu + PXELINUX would have been the most accurate
> mimcry of the scenario, even beyond the test I suggested.  Instead, I'll
> download the thing and report the correct geometry and any other
> findings.  - Shao

I verified the C/H/S working inside Qemu, and I forced it as well when
booting the X200s and it still fails to boot. (btw C/H/S was 23/64/32)

So as I expected, memdisk works exactly the same wrt. C/H/S inside Qemu as
on the real iron. So the problem is definitely something else.

I did notice that the pause parameter does not work with memdisk, which is
unfortunate because it would help comparing the output.