[syslinux] Booting firmware harddisk image with memdisk fails

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Sun May 24 15:50:16 PDT 2009

Very un-simple answer: Most sincere apologies.  I wasn't using your
isobar nor your patch for geteltorito, it turned out that _my_ image
extractor was broken, so I figured that Nero had put something bad in
the .ISO.  My extracted image only partly worked in VMWare, with the
corruption I mentioned.  DDing from the .ISO allowed the image to be
complete.  Using your geteltorito patch, I can confirm that the only
difference is the empty space in the .ISO, like you said.  So again,
sorry.

In the meanwhile, do other DOSes work?  What about a DOS "superfloppy"
image with the files all copied over?  Do other MEMDISK images work?  If
so, can the unit boot a MEMDISK HDD image of the exact same size with a
different DOS on it?  If the last test fails, perhaps it's a size
limitation.  A disadvantage that we currently have is that we don't have
any drive mapping abilities.  Booting an ODD, the optical disc is the
backing store for the emulated HDD.  Booting with MEMDISK, RAM is the
backing store, and maybe something critical is unfortunately up there.
If you're using a USB stick, you could try GRUB4DOS' mapping
functionality to see if the image works when its backing store is the
USB disk.

For the PXE case, where we have no media (heh), I'd _really_ be
interested in whether or not the SAN-boot works.  Because the SAN-boot
would have a mapping, instead of memory, this could also give some
clues.  If you want to try the SAN-boot method on this unit, but don't
have an iSCSI service resource, I could provide assistance there for
your test.

:S

- Shao Miller