[syslinux] MEMDISK El Torito Emulation

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Fri Nov 20 09:59:50 PST 2009

John Rouillard wrote:

> Does anybody know if the clonezilla iso will work with the patched
> memdisk?  When I tried it with the iso patched memdisk it died after
> partition IIRC (not at the office today so I can't test). I wasn't
> sure at the time if it was trying to read from the cd directory or or
> if there was some other thing (like hard disk emulation) going on.

An Internet search revealed that Clonezilla is a Linux distribution.
Protected-mode OSs such as Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, etc. would require a
driver in order to find a RAM disk established by MEMDISK.  Thus your
question is not El Torito/.ISO-specific.  Clonezilla cannot find _any_
RAM disk established by MEMDISK.  So yes, if it's looking to grab files
from the CD, there's no CD.

An OS like DOS uses INT 13h for disk I/O, which is what MEMDISK hooks
and how it functions.  The OSs mentioned above do not use INT 13h in
this way.

There is a driver for Windows called WinVBlock, but there isn't one for
Linux (yet.)

- Shao Miller