[syslinux] New MEMDISK-ISO

Lindgren Daniel daniel.lindgren at tullverket.se
Fri Oct 2 04:47:02 PDT 2009

> For anyone wanting to boot an .ISO with MEMDISK:
>
> http://git.etherboot.org/?p=people/andytim/syslinux.git;a=shor
> tlog;h=ref
> s/heads/memdisk-iso
>
> NOTE: Your protected-mode OS (Windows, Linux, *BSD) booted
> from such a MEMDISK will not magically find the MEMDISK image
> in RAM and use it as a CD without a MEMDISK driver.  There
> are currently 0 MEMDISK drivers in the field, but that might
> change someday.

If anyone is contemplating booting a WinPE ISO using memdisk-iso, I have
tried it and it works if I append "raw", example:

    KERNEL mdiso
    APPEND iso raw initrd=images/install/winpe_amd64.iso

"mdiso" is memdisk renamed.

Since WinPE can be booted over PXE without using memdisk-iso, the above
might seem redundant. However, when using Microsoft's method of booting
WinPE over PXE, you are limited to one BCD file (path and name hard
coded in binary file), which means that if you want/need to boot several
WinPE versions you can't separate them in the PXELINUX menu.

Using memdisk-iso, separating and optionally password protecting
selected WinPE images is trivial.

Cheers,
Daniel