[syslinux] isolinux problem since 3.74

Stillwell, Bryan bryan.stillwell at hp.com
Wed Oct 14 13:26:39 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 23:41 +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Either way, the mostly likely problem isn't gPXE but rather memory line
> number 6, which is marked "usable" (type 1) but has the flag bits [9].
> The value 9 is AddressRangeSlowAccess which was only defined in the ACPI
> 4.0 specification -- it's likely that something is just severely *weird*
> with your system.

Here's the memory map when booting from isolinux.  You're right that
it's different from the one that was loaded with pxelinux+gPXE.

You mentioned value 9 is AddressRangeSlowAccess, but looking at the 4.0
spec, it appears to be AddressRangeErrorLog instead.  That doesn't seem
like something that should be marked as usable, so I'm looking into it.

BTW, I tried booting with pxelinux 3.75 and the same config files the CD
uses, and it works fine.  Maybe all those zero entries which are seen
when booting off the CD are causing the problem?  I've been told the
Linux kernel ignores them.

Thanks,
Bryan