[syslinux] syslinux from logical partition and chainloaded by GRUB?

Dr. Tilmann Bubeck t.bubeck at reinform.de
Wed Dec 8 02:29:47 PST 2010

Hello!

I try to use syslinux to boot a Fedora 14 Live System from a logical
partition (sda5). However, this does not work. I get a "boot error". To
boot from that partition I use grub with "chainloader +1" from the
logical partition.

Here is my partition layout and the different bootloaders.

/dev/sda     MBR from GRUB
/dev/sda1    partition containing only GRUB
/dev/sda3    syslinux successfully
/dev/sda4    extended partition
   /dev/sda5  syslinux not able to boot

I succesfully used syslinux from a primary partition (sda3).

Is syslinux capable of booting from a logical partition if chainloded by
GRUB?

Thanks,
   Till

--
|       | dr. tilmann bubeck               reinform medien- und       |
|       | pflichtangaben nach paragraph 80, AktG:                     |
|       | reinform medien- und informationstechnologie AG, stuttgart  |
|       | handelsregister stuttgart, HRB 23001                        |
|       | vorstand:     dr. tilmann bubeck (vorsitz)                  |
|       | aufsichtsrat: frank stege (vorsitz)                         |