[syslinux] diskstart.inc: PartInfo sub-constants seen as local labels

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 06:15:59 PST 2010

I'm working on a debugging/diagnostic image in order to debug/diagnose
an issue with very recent machines using a UFD (USB Flash Drive) which
really _should_ be partitioned but someone decides to be a little too
quick and uses it raw. (FAT* file system on /dev/sdb rather than
/dev/sdb1).

Anyways, I've got a successful first iteration that'll say what the
BIOS thinks about geometry and fetches key sectors of the image to
visually verify this info.  Now, I'm thinking that if it doesn't
smell/taste the same as SYSLINUX on FAT*, it's not a valid test as
BIOSs commonly use the first sector to guess the intended geometry.
I'm copying (for now) the boot sector code from diskstart.inc.

Now, nasm is acting like the PartInfo sub-constants (for lack of
better/proper terminology) are local labels.  I'm guessing it's either
bad syntax in diskstart.inc or a parser-related bug in nasm.  I'm
working around this (for now) by having a label just before these
constants.

Thoughts?

--
-Gene