[syslinux] ISOs + memdisk take long time

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Tue Mar 16 11:13:15 PDT 2010

Jernej Simončič wrote:

> On Friday, March 12, 2010, 14:51:46, Shao Miller wrote:
>
> > I would guess that your USB transfer is slow.  I would also guess that
> > your .ISO is 350 MB.
>
> Might be much smaller actually - a lot of BIOSes only support very
> slow transfers from USB (often much slower than USB 1.1 permits).

It was a wild guess, not at all based on the reported speed (which
varies across platforms), but based entirely on the size of an .ISO I've
seen two different computing enthusiasts in two different cities use,
which is a remastered version of Hiren's Boot CD packed with a ton of
commercial (pirated) software, along with a puzzling video clip.  It
includes PowerQuest's PartitionMagic, Windows version.

Specifying the .ISO's size or asking for its actual size actually allows
for comparison with known USB transfer speeds on known platforms.

Apparently, M. Simon is not using the .ISO I had in mind.  The Windows
PE functionality of it wouldn't likely work without WinVBlock anyway,
since it's being loaded with MEMDISK, but it appears that M. Simon
doesn't get that far in the process to witness that fact.  I'm not 100%
sure why the .ISO isn't booting whatever its boot-loader is, but
wouldn't mind finding out, so it can be addressed in MEMDISK, if need be.

- Shao Miller