[syslinux] Req

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Tue Mar 30 19:24:02 PDT 2010

Good day Prof S W Damle,

In regards to your requests:
   (i) How to use the patch provided
  (ii) Open "Windows Recovery Console"

Please see below.

(i) Using the "fs" patch for chain.c32

Please note that Gert Hulselmans and I found a problem with this patch
and logical partitions.  I will re-work this patch again and submit the
results for Syslinux 3.87.

Steps to use the patch:

1. Install 'git', 'perl', 'nasm' and any other Syslinux build
dependencies
2. Working in your favourite directory, execute the following:

  git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git

3. This should result in a "syslinux" directory.  'cd syslinux'
4. You'd like to use the chain.c32 patch provided, which you can fetch

  git remote add shao
git://git.etherboot.org/scm/people/sha0/syslinux.git
  git fetch shao
  git checkout shao/chain_fs
  git checkout -b chain_fs

5. Build Syslinux with 'make'
6. The patched chain.c32 will be built in com32/modules/

(ii) Using chain.c32 to run the Microsoft Windows XP/2003 Recovery
Console

When you install the Recovery Console, you should see the following
additions to your boot drive:

\CMDCONS\
\cmldr

You can copy these to a FAT partition with XCOPY.EXE.

C:\>xcopy /e /h cmdcons f:\cmdcons\
 Many files copied.
C:\>copy cmldr f:\
 1 file(s) copied.

You can install SYSLINUX to that FAT partition.  Your SYSLINUX.CFG file
can include:

LABEL cmdcons
  COM32 chain.c32
  APPEND hd0 1 cmldr=cmldr

The above assumes that the partition is the first primary partition on
the first HDD.  If it isn't adapt your "hd0 1" accordingly.

Enjoy.

- Shao Miller