[syslinux] pxelinux 4.03 taking forever to find..../pxelinux.cfg/default

Miller, Shao shao.miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Tue Nov 16 12:43:37 PST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: syslinux-bounces at zytor.com [mailto:syslinux-bounces at zytor.com] On
Behalf Of Daniel Feenberg
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 15:14
To: For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
Subject: Re: [syslinux] pxelinux 4.03 taking forever to
find..../pxelinux.cfg/default

... ... ...

I wonder how many installations are really
able to overload IP address ranges with configuration information.

... ... ...

-----End of Original Message-----

I find the MAC address-based config-file functionality quite useful on a
regular basis.  I use 'mv' as an on/off switch.

Some folks enjoy HTTP via gPXE or iPXE, so it might be neat to hand out:

  210 : http://webserver/bootme.cgi?client=

and maybe the "count-down" could look like:

  http://webserver/bootme.cgi?client=01-00-de-ad-be-ef-66
  http://webserver/bootme.cgi?client=AC12B2D9
  etc.

A CGI might be able to tie into some other style of database or master
configuration data store.

- Shao Miller