[syslinux] USB boot: No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 11:45:44 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 14:44, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 07:11, chen ge <chenge2k at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, friends
>>
>> It is described at this page:
>>
>> http://superuser.com/questions/195275/usb-boot-no-default-or-ui-configuration-directive-found
>>
>> help, thanks!
>
> Copying contents in quotes from page in question:
> "syslinux
> No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
> boot:"
>
> "In order to fix this problem, you will have to plugin the USB drive
> into another computer and then rename the "isolinux" folder to
> "syslinux". In addition to that also rename the "isolinux.bin" and
> "isolinux.cfg" files in the same folder to "syslinux.bin" and
> "syslinux.cfg" respectively and try booting with the USB drive again"
>
> "check the drive, it only has syslinux dir and has
> isolinux.bin,isolinux.cfg and has syslinux.cfg. I tried to do as you
> said, it seems not work."
>
> "SYSLINUX 3.86 2010-04-01 CBIOS ......"

1) It's probably more useful to paste the information about your issue
into the email than including by reference.  This helps someone
searching the Syslinux archives for help.  It also can help someone
who is only using an email reader to assist you (ie RIM Blackberry
without web access).

2) Renaming the isolinux.bin file to syslinux.bin will only lead to
confusion as it accomplishes nothing.

3) Update to Syslinux 4.02.  Some major improvements include an
additional error message ("ERROR: No configuration file found"; I
believe this is presented in all variants) and ISOLINUX will now look
at other directories and filenames for its config file.

4) Make sure the config file that you want to use has a DEFAULT or UI
directive in order to avoid this notification.

5) Could be more specific on the location of these files?

6) Comparing the system that "does work" to the system that "does not
work", do you get a different word in the banner message?  CBIOS,
EBIOS, ETCD, EHDD and CHDD all indicate different disk access methods.

7) Often times, to assist diagnosing a config file search issue, I add
a statement to the top of all of my config files like "SAY
path/to/config.cfg" to see which config file(s) are being loaded and
consider commenting it out (with a "# ") to quiet it for production
use.

--
-Gene