[syslinux] configuration directive fixes

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 13:37:57 PDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 05:29, Alexey Gladkov <gladkov.alexey at gmail.com> wrote:
> 16.10.2010 03:28, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Hm, the patch is really not right, though: if UI points to a LABEL, it
>> should honor any APPEND associated with that label, which this patch
>> does not (the order of the tests at the top should be reversed.)
>
> Yes, i know. In this page:
>
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#UI_module_options...
>
> says that 'UI' should not point to a LABEL. Only to user interface module.

I believe it mentions only pointing to a module for a few reasons.
For starters, it might look pretty stupid to have a selection in the
UI to load itself.

That said, with menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 you can hide a label from the
menu with "MENU HIDE".  At this time, I believe it is implemented
exactly like DEFAULT is except it loads immediately rather than being
loaded eventually based on TIMEOUT, PROMPT, ONTIMEOUT, user input and
possibly other factors.

If you are using menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 as a UI and want a workaround
that does work for now, try one of these:

For no options:

UI menu
LABEL menu
  MENU HIDE
  COM32 menu.c32
  APPEND -

For specific options:

UI menu
LABEL menu
  MENU HIDE
  COM32 menu.c32
  APPEND my options here

(side question that probably should be a separate discussion) How do
you override a global APPEND for manual command lines or DEFAULT/UI
(when DEFAULT/UI does not reference a LABEL)?  It seems like the
answer is not yet.  I think that this might be the better thing to
investigate rather than always overriding the global APPEND.

--
-Gene