[syslinux] not sure how to get rid of white screen during boot

Douglas McClendon dmc.syslinux at cloudsession.com
Sun Feb 20 15:01:56 PST 2011

On 02/20/2011 02:13 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 02/19/2011 11:08 PM, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> On 02/20/2011 12:33 AM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>> 3.86 is way old.
>>
>> Everything I wrote below is unchanged with syslinux-4.02-3.el6.i686
>> which I pulled from fedora-14.  Maybe in those 4 seconds syslinux is
>> still in play uncompressing kernel/initrd(?) or something else, but
>> either way, I may take a look at what it takes to fade the menu-text
>> and/or splash-image out as soon as the selection is made.  (and both
>> with an optional and probably timelength tunable fade in as well).
>>
>> /me likes the fades...
>>

> No, the white screen is after the kernel starts running usually...

I'm not sure what you mean, as at this point a combination of Lua
script, vga=0x317 for qemu, vga=current for all else, gets me past my
white screen problem.  Regardless of whether or not there is any
substance to my hypothesis about console text mode changeable by
syslinux possibly effecting the white-screen issue.

The desire for a fadein/fadeout options in syslinux is fairly orthogonal
to the workaroundable whitescreen issue.

-dmc