[syslinux] hanging localboot

Jim Cromie jim.cromie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:06:00 PDT 2011

thanks Gene,

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 04:04, Jim Cromie <jim.cromie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ive got a soekris 4801 on which Ive used pxelinux...
>> its bios is set to go to pxeboot 1st, then localboot.
>>
>> Ive got:
>>
>>    label bootlocal
>>      MENU label ^9 Boot Local
>>      localboot 0
>>      # timeout 80
>>      # TOTALTIMEOUT 9000
>>
>> but using hangs:
>> this is on 4.05-pre1
>
> As per NEWS, could you do two things:
>
> 1) Try 'LOCALBOOT -1'; some PCs have different results.

this worked - it got me back to bios boot: prompt,
from whence boot 80 ran grub on CF,
and boot <nothing> reran pxeboot.

fwiw, I retried localboot 0-4,
and added 80, -80, f0, -f0
all gave same hang.

chain.c32 also worked, and went straight to hd, not to bios prompt.
so this is probably best

> 2) Try 4.03.
no need :-)

> 3) If this gives differing results, would it be possible to save the
> results of dmidecode or sysdump (Mentioned in NEWS also)?  I'm not
> sure if HPA is still interested in collecting these results.

results are inconclusive:
bios has no DMI, hdt confirms this.

after a bit of fiddling, I got a sysdump file saved to tftp server,
not spamming list with it, unless you want it

> See also http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#LOCALBOOT
> for some other references.
>
> --
> -Gene