[syslinux] drive size limit for syslinux

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 08:16:00 PST 2011

I was working on making a 40gb laptop ide drive bootable via syslinux
as the drive is in an external hd enclosure.

syslinux installed on a 100 mb bootable fat32 partition and when I
tried to boot from the drive, I got a syslinux prompt which was
correct as I had not done a config file yet.

I later found a 60GB laptop ide drive and put the larger drive in the
enclosure and tried to install syslinux on that, using the same 100mb
fat32 boot partition.

This time no joy.

I get an error indicating that no OS can be found.

I triple checked and followed the exact same procedure in both cases,
so I'm lost as to what is wrong.

I can go back to the 40gb drive for sure, but this kind of stuff
always interests me.

Is there a non-bug reason why this wouldn't work, like a drive size
limit in syslinux?

P.S.: it was syslinux-4.03

Thanks,

Rance