[syslinux] Nested SYSLINUX configurations -- error using CONFIG directive

Rich Mahn rich at lat.com
Tue Mar 29 08:56:55 PDT 2011

There seems to be an error using '..' in the append portion of the
CONFIG directive.

Consider a set of nested directories:  dir1/dir2/dir3
in dir1 the config file has:
label dir2
   config dir2/config.cfg
   append dir2/
label up
   config ../config.cfg
   append ../
similarly in dir2 we have
label dir3
   config dir3/config.cfg
   append dir3/
label up
   config ../config.cfg
   append ../
and in dir3 we have
label up
    config ../config.cfg
    append ../

selecting "dir2" from dir1 works as expected
then selecting "dir3" from dir2 works as expected
then selecting "up" from dir3 looks like it is working, but it isn't
completely correct.  The config file is correct, and it finds other
files correctly.  And the use of the CONFIG directive with absolute
pathnames works correctly.  However, any use of the CONFIG directive
with relative pathnames operates as if the current directory is dir3
instead of dir2.  So after selecting "up" from dir3, if we select "up"
from what looks like dir2, we get the same dir2 again, instead of dir1.
Similarly if we select "dir3" from what looks like dir2, it won't be
found.  Again, the relative paths seem to originate at dir3 instead of dir2.
I've also tried this with variations of "./..", "..", "./../", etc, but
all of them work the same way.