[syslinux] Chainloading GRUB Legacy

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Mar 29 09:27:31 PDT 2011

Hi,

This must be a FAQ somewhere, although I am unable to find the answer
quickly. We would like to have a bootable USB device offer the possibility
to boot from the local disk.

Unfortunately what happens when using 'chain.c32 hd1' is that GRUB works,
but the GRUB configuration refers to it's disk as 'hd0', so booting an
entry fails. One has to manually change 'root (hd0,0)' to 'root (hd1,0)'
to boot.

If we use 'chain.c32 hd1 swap' GRUB simply fails to go into Stage 1.5. Is
it absolutely required to use the grldr= option in this case to fix this ?

PS .localboot 0x81 or .localboot -1 does not work either.
PS2 Tested using syslinux 4.03.