[syslinux] Syslinux search for config file

Tomas M tomas at slax.org
Wed Aug 29 04:42:25 PDT 2012

New idea proposal:

Currently syslinux (and others) searches in for its config file, say
syslinux.cfg, in a hardcoded list of directories.

I propose that if the config file is not found, instead of producing
an error message like "unable to locate config file", it should try to
search in root directories and its subdirectories.

There is -d option to install syslinux to any directory (if you
remember, I sponsored it few years ago), but still the config file
needs to be in /boot/syslinux/ for example. This way, the default
behavior (backward compatibility) would be preserved, because it would
still look to these hardcoded directories first, but if the config
file is not found inthere, it would try all other directories and all
other subdirectories (say, to recursion level 2).

This way, people could install syslinux with -d /slax/boot/ and then
syslinux would find its config file even in /slax/subdir/, without any
additional patches (which I am currently forced to do).

Is this idea acceptable?

Should I try to code it and submit patches? Beware I am no C coder, I
prefer to rather SPONSOR the work :) Name your price! :)

Thank you for consideration

Tomas M
slax.org