[syslinux] Syslinux search for config file

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 19:58:22 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Ady Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:14:22 -0400
>> From: gene.cumm at gmail.com
>> To: syslinux at zytor.com
>> Subject: Re: [syslinux] Syslinux search for config file
>>
>> Let's ignore ISOLINUX for a moment. Using the prebuilt binaries for
>> Syslinux-4.05 of extlinux/extlinux and linux/syslinux, I do in fact
>> see that the install directory is used first.
>>
>> --
>> -Gene
>
> I also tested 4.05, and it did NOT search the install directory if such
>  directory is not in the "expected" list. Tomas also got the same result (as
>  he wrote in a previous email in this same thread).

He stated such but without more data, I can't be certain he's not
encountering something that's already been resolved.  Could you
provide some more information?  What OS & architecture?  Where did the
installer binaries come from?  Were they the originals as prebuilt?
Did you run make at all from the extracted archive?  Did you build
them yourself?  Did you get them from your distro?  What were the
exact command lines you tried?

For me, /dev/sdb1 mounted on /media/kdt1g-1/ for using the extlinux
installer as:
# extlinux/extlinux -i /media/kdt1g-1/b/
# extlinux/extlinux -i /media/kdt1g-1/b
# extlinux/extlinux -i /media/kdt1g-1/slaxbooter/mybootfiles
# extlinux/extlinux -i /media/kdt1g-1/slaxbooter/mybootfiles/

and unmounted using the syslinux installer as:
# linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb1 -d b/
# linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb1 -d /b/
# linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb1 -d /b
# linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb1 -d b
# linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb1 -d slaxbooter/mybootfiles/
# linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb1 -d /slaxbooter/mybootfiles/
# linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb1 -d /slaxbooter/mybootfiles
# linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb1 -d slaxbooter/mybootfiles

> About ISOLINUX, I would say it must be considered too. Generating different

I'm not disagreeing.  I'm stating I wanted to focus on 1 part
_momentarily_ to ensure it wasn't distracted.

>  behaviours makes it more difficult to write cfg files and to troubleshoot
>  them for the final user ("it worked in my UFD but not in optical media" and
>  alike).

As mentioned, the only effective way is through modifying the ADV.
When you build your ISO, ISOLINUX has no concept of an install
directory.

--
-Gene