[syslinux] syslinux 4.06pre11 issues

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 05:28:40 PDT 2012

> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 04:04:37 +0200
> From: bblaauw at home.nl
> To: syslinux at zytor.com
> Subject: [syslinux] syslinux 4.06pre11 issues
>

> Issues I'm experiencing with the experimental 4.06 NTFS branch:
> * pre5 installs just fine, lacks ls.c32 and cptime.c32
> * pre11: "invalid media signature" (syslinux -f -d _iso/syslinux H:)

 Although you are using the old command line arguments, the official
 Windows-based SYSLINUX 4.06-pre11 installer will fail anyway (HPA needs to
 find a solution).

> * ls.c32 at most only displays 1 file or directory.

 I don't have such issue in 4.06-pre11.

> * cptime.c32 missing in general

 That's because cptime is for 4.10, not 4.06.

> * no bootsector backup tool present like COPYBS for DOS.
> (FreeDOS SYS 3.8pre works: SYS H: /GETBS H:\_ISO\SYSLINUX\NTFS.BSS).
> * pre5: chain.c32 doesn't work for Windows 8 BCD, not tested pre11
> * bootsector chaining does work ( kernel /_iso/syslinux/ntfs.bss)

 I have not tested syslinux.com in 4.06, and last time I wanted to boot DOS
 with Syslinux I used either chain.c32 or MEMDISK, not the *.bss method.
 I guess that including a backup tool (under Windows and/or DOS) for boot
 sectors is useful for some users, but Syslinux is not the only way to
 obtain such backup.
 I have no Win8 image, so I can't comment on that one.

> And slightly offtopic: how do I determine an Isohybrid imagefile's disc
> geometry? Bochs insists on specifying chs in config file.

 Do you mean that you need to find out the specific CHS parameters of a
 specific isohybrid image? Under Linux, fdisk can read those parameters
 from the ISO image. I have not tested this under FreeDOS.

HTH.