[syslinux] syslinux 4.06pre11 issues

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:24:28 PDT 2012

> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:58:26 +0200
> From: bblaauw at home.nl
> To: syslinux at zytor.com
> Subject: Re: [syslinux] syslinux 4.06pre11 issues
>
> Op 30-8-2012 14:28, Ady Ady schreef:
>

> Anyway, what's the correct syntax? External disk requires /f as Windows
> 7 sees it as a fixed disk, despite the USB2 connection.

 Run "syslinux –-help"
 when you get a Windows-based installer that works.

> >> * ls.c32 at most only displays 1 file or directory.
> >
> > I don't have such issue in 4.06-pre11.
>
> Nice to hear, assuming you're testing this on NTFS.

 Yes, also tested on NTFS , listing files and folders of the same NTFS boot
 volume, using 4.06-pre11. I'm not saying you haven't found a problem. I'm
 just saying I don't see such problem in my limited tests, and your
 environment might be different than mine. You might want to review your
 test, and maybe you should start a specific thread just for that issue.

> >> * cptime.c32 missing in general
> >
> > That's because cptime is for 4.10, not 4.06.
>
> That's nonsense...

 I'm just stating the fact that cptime was included in the 4.10 development
 branch.

> > Do you mean that you need to find out the specific CHS parameters of a
> > specific isohybrid image? Under Linux, fdisk can read those parameters
> > from the ISO image. I have not tested this under FreeDOS.
>
> Yes, preferably the isohybrid tool returning optimal C/H/S upon
> conversion. Bochs emulator is a bit tricky. An alternative way is
> bximage program reporting CHS parameters if feeding it a file already,
> instead of creating a new empty file.
>
> FreeDOS fdisk seems to be slightly off with regard to the amount of heads
>
> > HTH.
>
> All bits help, though basicly it all comes down to 'use Linux' :)
>
> Bernd

 I'm not saying “just use Linux”; not at all. But this specific question
 (from the several ones you posted in the same email) is related to
 isohybrid, which is a Linux-based utility. If, under Linux, you run

 fdisk -l your_image.iso

you should see the CHS info, with a partition that is identified in fdisk as
 type 83 (Linux).