[syslinux] syslinux 4.06pre11 issues

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:22:33 PDT 2012

> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:01:22 +0200
> From: bblaauw at home.nl
> To: syslinux at zytor.com
> Subject: Re: [syslinux] syslinux 4.06pre11 issues
>
> Op 30-8-2012 18:24, Ady Ady schreef:
>
> > Run "syslinux –-help"
> > when you get a Windows-based installer that works.
>
> ah I thought I used the proper syntax. Initially I just run
> "syslinux64.exe" and see which options/parameters/syntax it presents, as
> it's easy enough to damage filesystems and software installations otherwise.

 Considering that syslinux.exe from the official 4.06-pre11 is not working,
 and that the documentation for syslinux64.exe is still referring to it as
 "experimental", ISTM that using syslinux64.exe in the current state might
 not be the best way to improve or test 4.06. I mean, I would test it when
 the official test release at least is expected to work, not before.

> I'll look into things, maybe pre9 or so will do the trick.

 Why pre9? If you want to go back (for a comparison test), at least use
 4.06-pre7 (not pre9), where syslinux.exe was at least working. If you keep
 getting errors with ls.c32, I would recommend starting a new thread just
 for this topic on focus.

> > I'm not saying “just use Linux”; not at all. But this specific question
> > (from the several ones you posted in the same email) is related to
> > isohybrid, which is a Linux-based utility. If, under Linux, you run
>
> To my knowledge it is/was a PERL script, I'm using some internet-found
> binary of isohybrid based on a PERL-to-EXE packer that combines script
> with the entire runtime/engine resulting in a 2.5MB binary.
>
> > fdisk -l your_image.iso
> >
> > you should see the CHS info, with a partition that is identified in fdisk as
> > type 83 (Linux).
>
> The bad part is Windows has no equivalent functionality out of the box,
> maybe I should upgrade the OS's SSD sometime to allow Linux VMs.
>
> Thanks for the feedback so far.
>
> Bernd

If you can't have access to an "installed-on-HDD" Linux, you could try some
 Live system (or, as you said, a VM). I mean, even if you can overcome the
 previous limitations, the isohybrid ISO image has no FAT (nor NTFS), so what
 would you gain if you are limited to Windows OS only?

 I'd like to suggest starting new separated threads for each topic, in case
 it is necessary (as oppose to keeping this one).