[syslinux] correct "--help' options

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 19:32:18 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Ady Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello hpa,
>
> When running each ldlinux.sys installer:
> extlinux
> syslinux
> syslinux[64].exe
> syslinux.com
>
>  with the "--help" argument, the results are different, depending on
>  the specific installer.

As each accepts different options.

> Under the Linux-based installer(s):
>   --once=...       Execute a command once upon boot
>
> while for the others:
>   --once=...   -o  Execute a command once upon boot
>
> Note that the "-o" is missing under Linux.

It should not show under the syslinux installers (linux/syslinux and
mtools/syslinux).  I believe this is historical as it could also be
used for --offset.

> I haven't tested whether "-o" is actually working or not in any of the
>  installers. It would be convenient to test and unify both:
> _ the actual behavior of  "<installer> -o", and;
> _ the "--help" screen.
>
> A similar example is
>   --directory  -d  Directory for installation target
>
> which appears after "syslinux --help" but not after "extlinux --help".
> Does extlinux support "--directory"?

It doesn't need to.  That's what the path parameter for extlinux is for.

> In addition to those requests, I'd like to know if there is any specific
>  "logic" for the order of appearance of the options when running
>  "<installer> --help".

Perhaps libinstaller/syslxopt.c:usage() needs to have the common
options resorted.

--
-Gene