[syslinux] Problems with Acer netbook freezing on syslinux bootup

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 01:58:11 PST 2012

> Hi!
> I'm not a programmer, so I will try and be as clear as I can.
> I currently have an Acer Aspire One which has issues with syslinux 4.06
> When I try and make a usb bootable install key using common automated
> programs under windows (Universal USB installer from Pendrivelinux, LiLi
> and unetbootin), they all fail when booted on the netbook.
> Now, I know it's an issue with syslinux for many reasons. All I get to
> see is the syslinux 4.06 EDD header and then everything freezes except
> the power button.
> So I got different versions of syslinux and re-did the MBR like said in
> the wiki page.
> I had to downgrade to version 4.03 in order to get ubuntu installed.
> I'm happy that it worked, but I also know this is not normal behavior so
> I joined the mailing list in order to help bring back compatibility.
>
> Here are details of the machine. I hope this is going to be of some help.
>
> Acer Aspire One Netbook AOA150
> Insyde H2O Bios 3.5
> Intel Atom N270 (single core) 1.6ghz
> VGA Bios Intel V 1585
> Acer bios version 0.3310
>
> If you need more information, I will gladly help.
>
> Thanks
>
> François

Are you saying the _only_ thing that you changed was the MBR, and the
MBR change from 4.06 to 4.03 was _all_ that it took for your system
to boot? If there were other changes you made, please specify them
all, step by step.

Also, which exact Ubuntu version and edition you installed? Were you
using any of those utilities you mentioned so to install it?

(Note: To be clear, I am curious as you are about what exactly
happened so it can be improved. I'm not a developer either.)

TIA,
Ady.