[syslinux] 5.00pre11 initial comments

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 05:20:47 PST 2012

Initial comments about 5.00-pre11.

1_ Using ctrl+v at the boot prompt:

 SYSLINUX 5.00 5.00-pre11CHS Copyright ...

Initial copyright notice when booting to Syslinux prompt:

 SYSLINUX 5.00 CHS 5.00-pre11 Copyright ...

Request: make the ctrl+v result to be shown as the initial copyright
notice (including order and space characters).

2_ Hello.c32 is still behaving differently than in 4.06.

Either it doesn't show anything (I'll skip the details for such case
for now), or it shows something like:

Hello world, from 0x001FA200! malloc return 0x001fb450

and when repeating hello.c32 from the prompt, part of the values are
different each time.

Please clarify if the new behavior is the new expected one, or find
the reason to the changed behavior.

Having an unexpected behavior in hello.c32 could potentially mean
that "something" is not quite right.

3_ The initial boot prompt is shown at an inadequate line in the
screen.

For example, the first line of a DISPLAY file is not seen, because
the prompt uses that same line. The prompt should appear AFTER the
end of the DISPLAY file.

4_ When using cat.c32 to display the content of a file, if the
content is just one line (and less than the screen width), then the
content is not being displayed.

In 4.06, the behavior is not ideal either. The less-than-one-line
file is displayed, and the prompt shows in the same line after the
content is displayed.

Extending the test to display (with cat.c32) a file with multiple
lines, it can be concluded that the boot prompt is displayed in the
same last line of the file that was displayed with cat.c32.

In 4.06, the prompt is shown _after_ the end of the last line, in the
same line. In 5.00pre11, the boot prompt is shown at the start of the
same last line, hiding the last line of the displayed file.

I don't know if this behavior is happening with cat.c32 only (I think
it is NOT the only case), or if it happens in other circumstances too
(like with other modules or with DISPLAY files for example).

I think the correct behavior should be to show the prompt in the
_next_ line, not in the same last line. Hopefully this request has no
unwanted effect when using [vesa]menu.c32 and "MENU *ROW*"
directives.

To replicate all the above, boot 4.06 and 5.00-pre11 and observe the
initial (DISPLAY) screen and the initial prompt line, and then
execute each label from the following:

   *** SYSLINUX.CFG START ***
DEFAULT hello1
PROMPT 0
F1 help1.txt
DISPLAY help1.txt
LABEL hello1
COM32 hello.c32
LABEL cat1
COM32 cat.c32
APPEND help1.txt
LABEL cat2
COM32 cat.c32
APPEND help2.txt
   *** SYSLINUX.CFG END ***

   *** HELP1.TXT START ***
LINE 1 OF HELP1.TXT
LINE 2 OF HELP1.TXT
LINE 3 OF HELP1.TXT
LINE 4 OF HELP1.TXT
   *** HELP1.TXT END ***

   *** HELP2.TXT START ***
LINE 1 OF HELP2.TXT
   *** HELP2.TXT END ***

I'll continue with additional tests of 5.00-pre11 and report
accordingly. Hopefully in the mean time some of the above can be
addressed.

TIA,
Ady.