[syslinux] Menu system bug - MENU DEFAULT not working

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 04:29:48 PDT 2012

From:           	Matt Fleming <matt at console-pimps.org>
Date sent:      	Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:32:07 +0100

Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Menu system bug - MENU DEFAULT not
working

> On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 23:09 +0200, Tomas M wrote:
> > > Where xxx is a *different* menu. I count 4. Are you able to reproduce
> > > the problem with a simpler config file?
> >
> > yes, I sent simplified config to this list few weeks ago.
> > It can be seen in the mailing list archive:
> > http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-September/018012.html
> >
> > Thank you for the time you spend on this
>
> With that config I can reproduce the original bug you reported, where
> the MENU DEFAULT directive is ignored, but I can't reproduce the random
> default jumping around bug that happens with the config file you posted
> yesterday (9th Oct). It's the random default bug that I think needs a
> simpler config file. Is there any way that you can make the syslinux.cfg
> you posted yesterday smaller?
>
> --
> Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center

Maybe this (simpler and first) cfg is enough for testing:

   ***   START SYSLINUX.CFG 1  ***

UI menu.c32
PROMPT 0
MENU CLEAR

MENU BEGIN 0000
   LABEL -
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [ ] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 1000
MENU END

MENU BEGIN 1000
   LABEL -
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [*] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 0000
MENU END

   ***   END SYSLINUX.CFG 1   ***

The next (second) step would be something like:

   ***   START SYSLINUX.CFG 2  ***

UI menu.c32
PROMPT 0

MENU CLEAR