[syslinux] Menu system bug - MENU DEFAULT not working

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 04:15:37 PDT 2012

> The problem is that this patch by itself is likely to break backwards
> compatibility, as I'm sure people will be relying upon menu/submenus
> remembering the last selected entry.
>
> --
> Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center

If any patch affects older MENU DEFAULT behavior in submenus, it will
probably be in a positive way, as MENU DEFAULT combined with MENU
GOTO in submenus seems to be broken since before 4.00. I can still
see the broken behavior as you describe it, but IMHO making it work
with MENU GOTO seems more useful.

BTW...

In Changes in 3.72:

 "menu default" can now be specified after "menu begin", to
 indicate that a specific submenu should be the default entry.

But in .doc/menu.txt:

 MENU DEFAULT (Only valid after a LABEL statement.)
    Indicates that this entry should be the default for this
particular submenu.

So menu.txt and the changelog are stating 2 different things (read
them carefully).

Regards,
Ady.