[syslinux] correct "--help' options

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 23:55:02 PDT 2012

> Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 13:28:23 -0400
> From: gene.cumm at gmail.com
> To: syslinux at zytor.com
> Subject: Re: [syslinux] correct "--help' options
>
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Ady Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > The "-o" now is used in installers that were previously
> > not using it for anything else, but is not used in syslinux, which was
> > indeed using it in older versions. If the previous decision was to change
> > the old "-o" to the new "-t", then the same principle could be said about
> > either:
> > _ not using "-o" at all in any installer ("breaking" the current use); or,
> > _ using "-o" also in syslinux ("re-using" it in syslinux too, but different
> > from syslinux 3.8x ).
> >

> Using "-o" again in linux/syslinux or mtools/syslinux would be
> extremely bad. It should probably either be maintained as-is or
> removed entirely. Reusing it for a completely different purpose would
> cause a user to see unexpected behavior. hpa would be the final
> authority (of course).

 I fail to see the difference of such decisions in terms of the impact on
 users. If changing from "-o" to "-t" was acceptable (which is also
 arguable), then now using "-o" to something else has the same type of
 impact on users (specially since there are several versions, and time, in
 between).

 Let's assume, just for the sake of the argument, that "-o" would be used now
 for "--once" in syslinux (as it is used in other installers). A user trying
 to use "-o" as "--offset" (as in older versions) will fail. The only case
 where it may "erroneously" succeed would be such that the value for the
 offset would be the same as a value accepted by "--once".

 The current situation is not so different. A user trying to use "-o" as
 "--offset" should fail, since syslinux 4.xx shouldn't know what to do with
 it. Or, maybe..., is it still "accepted" as the "-t" is?

 The possibility of not using "-o" at all also presents the same issue.
 Someone that is used to use "-o" with the current meaning of "--once" in
 installers other than syslinux, would find that it is failing (after "-o" is
 taken out as equivalent for "--once").

 And the additional possibility, that was not mention yet, is to use a
 different letter (not "-o"), but the same for all installers. Again, the
 type of consequences are the same.

 In order to make it simpler for users, documentation, less
 troubleshooting..., no change to pre-existing command line options should be
 done. The problem is that the "change" was already done (reusing "-o" in the
 other installers) So now the question is whether unifying the behavior for
 “--once” (the desired closeness) justifies a new change.
 I admit I don't know the answer either.

> > Well, for final users, "any" logical sort would be better than "random".
> > The specific logic for each program is always arguable.
>
> My guess would be new options getting added to the bottom instead of
> inserted in order.

 That's the current situation, which is comfortable for developers and less
 simple for users (which are the ones in need of "--help").
 I know there are more important things to do, but if possible, take this
 into account for the future.