[syslinux] Attachments WAS: submenus and menu title

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Sep 16 02:32:46 PDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 06:45:52PM +0300, Ady wrote:
> Date sent:	Sat, 15 Sep 2012 08:45:26 +0200
> From:	Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl>
> > On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 03:40:07AM +0200, Ady Ady wrote:
> > >
> > > I have uploaded a simple graph, which shows the current situation, and what
> > >  should be happening.
> >
> > Now attached to this E-mail.
> >

> I thought attachments were not allowed. Are they?

In a changing world it is important to exchange ideas.
Internet, with all its technology, helps with that.

Thank goodness that we can choose (and mix) which technology to use.

Where mailinglists are great for E-mail discussion within a group of
people, are MLs less efficient then webservers and/or torrents
for distributing large files.

The tripping point attach files versus distributing otherwise
is not sharp defined. On mailinglists with many subscribers is the
risk for overloading the mail server larger as on lists with few subscribers.
That is because the server has "to multiple" the attachment(s) _for each_
subscriber. And when the mailserver is busy with large e-mails,
it can not handle small e-mails. That harms the response time
in the discussion. Fast response time is good for exchanging ideas.

It is considered good to distributing files outside an mailinglist,
it shows awareness of different technology.
Restricting one self with "not allowed", is not productive.

If there is a rule for such situation, then it is:

  Be conservative in what you sent, be liberal in what you recieve.

That rule is known as the robustness principle[1].
It was RFC1855[2] where I saw that the first time.

Groeten
Geert Stappers

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.