[syslinux] TEST IMG/ISO FAILS in syslinux 5.01

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 04:19:53 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Prof S W Damle <swdamle at bsnl.in> wrote:
> Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:27 AM, Gene Cumm [gene.cumm at gmail.com] wrote:
> 1) You have a space in a LABEL.  This makes it unusable at the command
> line.  I'd suggest something like the following:
>
> LABEL test-img-iso-file
>   MENU LABEL ** ^TEST IMG/ISO File.
>
> 2) Based on #1, I'm left to assume you're using (vesa)menu.c32.  Is this
> true?
>
> [1]
> Done the needful and is as follows;
>
> LABEL test-img-iso-file
>   MENU LABEL ** ^TEST IMG/ISO File.
>   kernel /test/memdisk
>  initrd  test/filename.iso
>  append  iso
>    #  [if not use iso raw]
> TEXT HELP
> [Tab] >Use (i) iso  initrd=test/filename.iso OR (ii)
> initrd=test/filename.extn
>
> However sorry to say it FAILS as before.
>
> [2]
> Yes I am using vesamenu.c32.
>
> [3]
> Simply Returns back to "Bootable Menu" without any messages.

Your menu hides the real error.  The most common issue is bad
filenames. Could it be associated with the lack of a leading "/" on
the INITRD or the leading "/" on your KERNEL?  Try to escape from the
menu then manually enter "test-img-iso-file" (without quotes of
course) at the "boot: " prompt.  On your next remaster, I'd suggest
putting pwd.c32 and ls.c32 OR rosh.c32 in some location and remember
the absolute path to them (ie if they are in /test/, you can try "pwd"
or "/test/pwd.c32").  Your present working directory could be
something other than what you expect.

--
-Gene