[syslinux] A Couple Questions About a New Project

Mr Roboto mr-roboto at linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 2 11:33:52 PST 2013

I believe the above was part of a thread to this question I originally
posed:

>>This particular effort is on a USB flash drive, with two partitions:  an
>>NTFS pasrtition and an ext2 partition.  /boot/syslinux lives on the
>>[first] NTFS partition with a bunch of other files, while the other
>>partition contains a live Linux system.
>>
>>I need help translating this stanza (from a working isolinux.cfg) to
>>access the vmlinuz on ext2 partition:
>>
>>KERNEL /pclos2/vmlinuz
>>APPEND livecd=/pclos2/livecd initrd=/pclos2/initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us vmalloc=256M nokmsboot home=usb splash=no
>>
>>The problem is how one references sub-directories on a different
>>partition.

Apparently I was misunderstood, my apologies for posing a faulty
question.  I was trying to determine how to reference another
drive/partition from syslinux.cfg, as in:

KERNEL (hd0,1)/pclos2/vmlinuz
APPEND livecd=(hd0,1)/pclos2/livecd initrd=(hd0,1)/pclos2/initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us vmalloc=256M nokmsboot home=usb splash=no

That's how GRUB does it, relative to a working syslinux.cfg.  After
further consideration, I "believe" the solution to my two partition
problem is chainloading.  So we'll put the *original* KERNEL+APPEND
stmts into their own syslinux.cfg and from my Linux system do the
following:

extlinux --install /media/PCLOS26

to install a boot loader so that we can chain to my ext2 partition, from
the boot-time syslinux.cfg, like so:

KERNEL /boot/syslinux/chain.c32
APPEND hd0 1

(For the record, I *did* re-read chain.txt, make the flash drive
bootable using syslinux.exe and installed syslinux own MBR for laughs.)

Seems simple enough, but after I get the initial Syslinux version msg
(from launching the updated menu pick) a few seconds later, I'm right
back at my original boot menu.  The flash drive is almost new and was
successfully booting Linux alone without incident (via GRUB.)  But I'm
confused, as I thought using extlinux made the 2nd partition bootable
and therefore a candidate for chainloading.

Please advise when convenient.  Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to
all.

----  Jet