[syslinux] question

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:36:02 PST 2013

> 7_ booted "O:" with > *O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG\SYSLINUX.CF1*
>
> Received the message as follows:
>
>  Syslinux 5.00 EDD 2012-12-06 Copyright(c) 1994-2012 H. Peter Anvin et
> at
>
> Warning: No configuration file found.
>
> NO DEAFULT or configuration directive found!
>
> boot: "-" blinking.

Up until step #5 we are fine. It's this step #7 that I don't get what
you mean with " *O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG\SYSLINUX.CF1* ".

In step #7, you were supposed to copy a file. This was:
copy O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CF1 O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG

But with what you pasted into your email, you seem to create a
directory instead of a file and then you seem to copy or move the
"syslinux.cf1" file into that new directory (I am guessing an
inadequate xcopy command). If in my emails I wasn't clear enough for
our context, please receive my apologies. I'll try again now so to
(hopefully) correct this situation.

If my interpretation of your previous report is incorrect, then
please avoid all the next steps and provide instead a clear
explanation.

I am now assuming all is fine up until step #5 included, and that
what I described above is an adequate interpretation. So, to correct
the current situation after your step #7, please be sure you still
have a file named "O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CF1":
DIR O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CF1 /A /O

If you don't have such file, then move it from the other location you
seem to have created.

Then, under Win XP, please delete the new "O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG\"
directory with it's content. In other words, the following command:
DIR O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX*.* /AD

should eventually result in no such directory found. (Note: the use
of mixed upper case and lower case here are just for clarity in this
unformatted text. The actual files and directories could be displayed
under Windows XP and/or under DOS with different upper / lower case
combinations.)

Now we should be back at the beginning of step #6. So please copy the
file:
O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CF1
to a new file:
O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG

Then:
7_ Please boot with this "O:" drive to test it. Since our "PROMPT 1"
is still there in the "O:\syslinux\SYSLINUX.CFG" file, we should
expect a "boot:" prompt (not a menu).

When testing this new boot attempt, please report, as you did before,
any additional messages that might appear.

After the above steps are completed, please also provide the result
of (executed under XP):
DIR O:\*.C* /A /S /O /X

According to your next feedback, we'll see how to continue.

Thanks and Regards,
Ady.