[syslinux] pxechn.c32: passing options to iPXE

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:37:15 PDT 2013

On Jul 16, 2013 2:01 PM, "Alexandre Blanchette" <blanalex at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Alexandre Blanchette
> > <blanalex at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > In PXELinux 4.06 (the vanilla version, not gpxelinux.0), I'm trying to
> > use
> > > pxechn.c32 to call iPXE (undionly) with option 67 set to call an  iPXE
> > > script.
> > >
> > > The relevant portion of my PXELinux config looks like this:
> > >
> > > LABEL MDT
> > >   MENU LABEL  ^B - MDT 2012 SP1
> > >   com32 pxechn.c32
> > >   APPEND undionly.kpxe -o 67.s=ipxe/mdt.ipxe
> > >
> > > However iPXE doesn't seem to get the option correctly, it goes into
> > > auto-boot mode instead of loading the script.
> >
> > Odd.  What's the underlying PXE/UNDI stack?  Could you have gPXE/iPXE
> > already loaded?
>

> No other stack is loaded, only the UNDI driver from the BIOS. I've tried
it
> with a VMWare Workstation machine (intel e1000 virtual interface), a
Lenovo
> ThinkPad T510 and a Dell Latitude E6530.

Ok.  Is there any scenario for which you'd expect this to work?  Anything
to test that your expected behavior is observed?  Should using option 67
work like this?  Would it work with option 209("-c")?  Have you tried
undionly.kkpxe or undionly.kkkpxe?

Obviously once gPXE/iPXE does its own DHCP, it should use 67 like this.

To get the behavior you desire, you may need a custom undionly.*pxe with a
custom script to fetch a script based on 67.

--Gene