[syslinux] syslinux.efi pxeboot across multiple subnets

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sat Nov 9 01:33:25 PST 2013

Op 2013-11-08 om 15:44 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> On 11/08/2013 03:35 PM, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > Op 2013-11-08 om 10:48 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> >> Thank you for posting the pcap files, by the way.  Analyzing them in
> >> Wireshark is so much nicer than reading the text output of tcpdump.
> >
> > Fetch the new capture with
> >
> >  wget -O pcap2.zip http://ge.tt/api/1/files/136167y/0/blob?downlad
> >
> > The capture[1] shows two TFTP transmissions of sles113/syslinux.efi,
> > but nothing after that. As if syslinux.efi was crashed.
> >
> > [1] With a snaplength of 96 bytes or something.
> >     Add -S0 to tcpdump to get the full network packets.
>
> syslinux.efi either crashed or just can't get packets out.  Either of
> which is bad, obviously.

And a thrid option, still bad: Send out packets didn't get across gateway.

That is possible when the mirror port is at the same side of a gateway
as the TFTP server is. Euh, I mean visible where I said possible.

Please confirm where in the network the tcpdump is made,
or even better: capture the packets near the booting machine.

Something else: How many gateway / routers are involved?

Groeten
Geert Stappers
Yes, it is good to respect the discussion order
--
Leven en laten leven