[syslinux] Booting with Syslinux 6.01 & 6.02 fails, causes restart.

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 02:49:52 PST 2013

Hi there.

I had a quick look through the archives, and I spotted a similar issue
being reported in October, but no resolution, unfortunately.
"[syslinux] Syslinux 6.02 BIOS"

I am booting in legacy (bios) mode on a gpt partition on my laptop.
It's a HP ENVY dv7.
CPU: Intel i7,
BIOS: InsydeH2O
version: F. 12

With syslinux 4.06, it boots flawlessly.

With syslinux 6.01 and 6.02, the welcoming message flashes up, then
the automatic booting of the first initramfs.

It's a rather large initramfs.

Straight away the booting process looks different than with 4.06.
The periods that were showing progress in loading the initramfs now
does not increase as the initramfs is loaded. So, only three periods
after each initramfs.
Once the last initramfs is loaded, the system re-starts.

This process repeats about six or seven times, then the kernel loads..
but only when booting from an internal hard disk. If I try booting
through syslinux 6.02 installed on an external USB hard disk, it just
carries on loading the initramfs, then rebooting for about ten times,
then then it just constantly reboots, shows the automatic boot window,
and reboots again.

What information do you require from me to help with troubleshooting?
Syslinux was compiled from sources on my laptop, and I am quite happy
to try patching the source code if someone has an idea to try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
On a side note, I have a video clip of the faulty booting, as I was
trying to see if there is an error message I am missing, but none was
apparent. It's possible for me to post this clip on youtube and post a
link here if anybody is interested.

--
Evert Vorster
Chief Observer