[syslinux] Booting with Syslinux 6.01 & 6.02 fails, causes restart.

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 06:13:43 PST 2013

Hi there, Ady.

>> I compiled from sources.
>
> Where did you get the Syslinux source? Could you try with the latest
> from Arch Linux [testing], just in case?
I got them from one of the kernel mirrors, which mirror in particular
I am not certain, my distro does not keep track.

I could certainly try. I'll just have to find a download link, then
I'll diff against the sources I have to see if there are any
differences.

> FWIW, the Syslinux archives in kernel.org already contain binary
> files. Using official files without re-compiling might help find out
> if perhaps there is some build problem.
Thanks for the pointer. I will keep that in mind. Saying that, I have
tried quite a few different build options, and nothing changed in the
output files.

> Are you using gnu-efi 3.0u? If not, please update.
The very same. :)

>> Then I installed with extlinux --install -s /boot
>> and then copied in gptmbr into /dev/sda
>>
>> and re-created the initramfs bundle that this distrobution boots from .
>>
>> Then rebooted.
>
> Were you using the same exact procedure, in the same order and exact
> commands with Syslinux 4.xx?
Yes, exactly the same every time.

> Any specific reason to use "-s" in the installer? Could you try
> without it?
I suppose I could. I'll keep it in mind, too.

> Could you try installing gptmbr.bin first, and then executing the
> extlinux installer?
I certainly can.

> Are you using c32 modules?
I am not certain how to check.

> Have you changed anything in your /boot/syslinux.cfg file? Can you
> post it?
Will post in a seperate email, from the system itself. It's a bit long
too type in by hand, and I don't want to make any errors.

> Have you tested Syslinux 4.07?
Nope

> Which filesystem is /boot ?
The first partition on the internal hard disk drive. It's ext2

I get the same error in booting from an external USB HD that is a
duplicate of my internal HDD.

Regards,
Evert