[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 24 07:12:02 PST 2013

> I came to the helpful wiki when searching for instructions how
> to use the "boot:" prompt.
> Are there any ?

In the Syslinux archives, /doc/syslinux.txt includes some clues,
which are also in the wiki. For example:
[quote]
If the Shift or Alt keys are held down during boot, or the Caps or
Scroll locks are set, Syslinux will display a LILO-style "boot:"
prompt.  The user can then type a kernel file name followed by any
kernel parameters.
[/quote]

Pressing TAB in the "boot:" prompt shows the available labels.

Typing in a label executes the corresponding kernel+append+initrd
instructions (from the cfg file).

After a label is typed in, additional parameters can be manually
appended.

>From a Syslinux menu, select an entry, press TAB and edit the command
in the boot prompt.

Some c32 modules might be useful in the Syslinux prompt for
troubleshooting, e.g ls.c32, pwd.c32, rosh.c32.

And in the Syslinux archives, /txt/syslinux-cli.txt is a new AsciiDoc
document with relevant info, which is also in the wiki and in
/doc/syslinux.txt, but syslinux-cli.txt refers specially to the
Syslinux boot prompt.

> i propose to add option -iso-level 2 to the example
> in
>   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/ISOLINUX#How_Can_I_Make_a_Bootable_CD_With_ISOLINUX.3F

There is virtually no end to the different cases. I think the
Syslinux wiki should not try to cover "too much", staying with the
minimal info regarding ISOLINUX itself.

(BTW, we all know that the Syslinux documentation is not as
up-to-date as users would like/need. Looking into distro's ISOs is a
good learning method.)

In particular, the -iso-level 2 option is mentioned in that section
(as you noticed).

Each distro and many other sites contain instructions and/or scripts
so to remaster ISOs.

For Arch Linux:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Remastering_the_Install_ISO#Creat
ing_a_new_ISO