[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Nov 25 01:03:45 PST 2013

Hi,

my apologies to Mattias Schlenker for not remembering our
discussion about UEFI of march 2013. It would have been
more relevant in this context than the ia64 problems of
debian-cd of may 2013.

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> The problem is the load LBA too high.

Nevertheless, this is the first confirmation that BIOS
dislikes high block addresses.
At least the older versions of mkisofs and genisoimage
do not force the boot images to low addresses.
I am curious what a mass test with the users will bring.

As stated earlier, the next version of xorriso will have
sort weight 2 for El Torito boot images by default.
But it will not harm to explicitely use --sort-weight
options with old and new versions of xorriso.

More complicated weight structures may be defined in a
file on disk and read by option --sort-weight-list or
--sort-weight-patterns.

> Note that if using isolinux.bin from syslinux-4.07 works fine in both
> cases (under high LBA addreses and low).

So maybe it is not BIOS but SYSLINUX which does not like
the high addresses. Or both of them in happy cooperation.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas