[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Nov 25 03:40:24 PST 2013

Hi,

Ady wrote:
> I guess that being isolinux.bin 4.07 smaller than 32KiB (24KiB),
> while isolinux.bin 6.02 being bigger (42KiB), and with the addition
> of multiple alternative boot images in the same ISO, the chances of
> isolinux.bin being located on a higher sector in the media seem to be
> higher.
>
> So, perhaps the potential problem was always there, just that the
> chances of actually triggering it were much lower?

If i get Gerardo right, then he can trigger it on 6.02 without
isohybrid and EFI just by the start address of the boot image.
The image size does not change by this.
Further he reports that high addresses do not harm success with
4.07.

On my own test system, a high address (263921) and 6.02 work fine.

So we have some ingredient in the boot firmware, and some other
in a difference between SYSLINUX 6.01 and 4.07.

The reported symptoms differ slightly:

Carl Duff:
> > ISOLINUX 6.02 ETCDisolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 4279, drive FE

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
> > When trying to boot the bad iso, I can see the isolinux welcome message
> > but not complete "ISOLINUX 6.02 ETCD", then reboot inmediatelly.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas