[syslinux] syslinux/isolinux 6.2 "Error: Couldn't read the first disk sector"

Steven Shiau steven at nchc.org.tw
Mon Oct 28 20:28:02 PDT 2013

After switching to version 6.2, I am having a problem to use chain.c32
to boot a local disk.
My settings:
======================
label local
   MENU LABEL Local operating system in hard drive
   kernel chain.c32
   append hd0
======================
It gave me "Error: Couldn't read the first disk sector"

If I change the settings as
======================
label local
   MENU LABEL Local operating system in hard drive
   localboot 0
======================
After the boot menu, it showed:
"Booting from local disk..."
Then I got the error message:
"Boot failed: press a key to retry"

I am sure the hard drive could boot since if I remove the live CD it can
successfully boot into my Linux box.
The live CD I created was put here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-testing/0.16.2-9/gparted-live-0.16.2-9-i686-pae.iso/download
I have tested this on VMWare WS 10 and real machine, like Acer Aspire
One. All have the same issue.
BTW, I have no problem when the live CD was using syslinux/isolinux
5.10, i.e.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-testing/0.16.2-6/gparted-live-0.16.2-6-i686-pae.iso/download

Is this a bug or something new about config which I do not know?
Thanks.

Steven.
--
Steven Shiau <steven _at_ nchc org tw> <steven _at_ stevenshiau org>
National Center for High-performance Computing, Taiwan.