[syslinux] installing syslinux on a fresh system (SATA)

Mau Z zmau1962 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 10:17:08 PST 2014

Hi

I understand you (mostly).
0) How do i "install the MBR code as well and to activate your partition."
1) "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt"  -->> successfully completed.
2) "mkdir /mnt/extlinux"  -->> successfully completed.
3) "extlinux --install /mnt/extlinux"     -->> does not work.
    Funny, but it it seems that there is no such thing as extlinux anymore.
    Here is an Q&A that I got from the syslinux site:

> Hi!

> I was looking to download EXTLINUX in the following page  :

> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Download

> But I do not see that it can be done.

> It is said that "The SYSLINUX download includes PXELINUX, ISOLINUX and

> MEMDISK as well."

> But, there is no word about EXTLINUX

> Please, advise

I see that page needs a little work on terms.

Anyways, EXTLINUX is no longer a separate boot loader variant as its

functionality has been merged into SYSLINUX as of 4.00.

extlinux/extlinux is the SYSLINUX installer for mounted file systems

on Linux.  linux/syslinux and mtools/syslinux are the SYSLINUX

installers for unmounted FAT* file systems on Linux.

  So this puts me back in Square 1.

Thanks
Mau