[syslinux] Advice/directions to users of Syslinux

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Jan 22 03:13:58 PST 2014

Hi,

> 1_ "create a new DOS partition table";
> 2_ create a new partition;
> 3_ format it.

This could be added to
  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#Creating_a_Bootable_Disk
statement:

  "In order to create a bootable disk using SYSLINUX, prepare
   a normal MS-DOS formatted disk."

Like

  "If in doubt, make a backup of your disk content, create a new
   DOS partition table, create a new partition, and format it.
   Take care not to spoil your other disks."

plus

  "With persistent problems to boot USB connected pen drives see
   the section about
   [http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#USB_related_problems USB related problems]."

> when using words such as "should". Is that a recommendation?

Yes. Nothing is absolute with that topic.
Some combinations work, some don't. It should work
with the "should" recommendations.

I propose to extend Gene's existing statements in
  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#USB-Miscellaneous

This is a trouble oriented page, which names possible technical
reasons for problems.
Some of them are good for a ROFL. E.g.
  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#Problematic_CD-ROM_controllers

> I am sure some additional development muscle is very welcome and
> needed

I feel apt for ISO 9660 related issues, up to isohybrid
with MBR, GPT, and APM. My boot knowledge is collected at
  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~libburnia-team/libisofs/scdbackup/view/head:/doc/boot_sectors.txt

Have a nice day :)

Thomas