[syslinux] Syslinux 6.03pre18 cannot boot kernel from btrfs

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jul 22 11:58:46 PDT 2014

On 07/11/2014 06:35 PM, Anatol Pomozov wrote:

> syslinux also reports numbers, see [1]. It says "EDD...." and I
> believe the third field is disk offset, right? If so the number looks
> suspiciously large, it is ~10^17. Could it be that syslinux has some
> kind of integer overflow in calculating disk offsets? How syslinux (or
> bios?) is able to load anything with such big offset?

Most likely it is already lost at that time: it read some garbage from
the disk and is interpreting it as a disk address.  An interesting
thing, though, is that it is exactly one bit from a small number: in
hexadecimal 36028797018973762 is 0x80000000002642, so I'm wondering if
there is a bit we should mask which we don't.