[syslinux] lss broken when upgraded 4.05 to 6.03

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 2 20:58:38 PST 2014

> On 11/2/14, Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, Utopic uses 6.03-pre18, not the final release (although, the
> > lss16 problem is present in both).
> >
> > About the lss16 issue, we all would welcome patches, really. Any
> > volunteers?
> >
> > @Barry, see http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2014-October/022734.html
> >

> Ady,
> Thanks very much for the information.
>
> My memory got jogged, and I recalled the Puppy developers trying 5.x
> and encountering problems, including the LSS16 one, and deciding to
> stay with 4.0x:
>
> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85619&start=30

Hmm... That topic cannot be a trustworthy indication of Syslinux
features / functionality / compatibility / behavior, as that forum
topic includes too many typos, mistakes, misuse and misunderstanding.

Additionally, I would suggest not wasting time on version 5.xx of
Syslinux (unless explicitly requested for some specific test), as
there are too many patches applied in Syslinux 6.xx that were not
back-ported to Syslinux 5.xx.

The only part of that forum topic that is still relevant for Puppy
Linux and Syslinux 6.03 is that the support for lss16 images has not
been implemented yet.

> The reason that I am keen to move up to 6.0x is I want to support UEFI
> for Quirky Linux (and to pass on the know how to the Puppy guys).
> So, I will very much appreciate if one of the syslinux developer guys
> can fix that LSS16 problem!
>
> Regards,
> Barry Kauler

Certainly you are not alone regarding this wish. Several (somewhat
popular) small / light / low-requirements / specialized ISO images
make use of DISPLAY files, and part of those also use lss16 images.

Patches are welcome.

Regards,
Ady.